I added a page with several of the prototypes I’ve made in the past year or two. Check it out here or hit the menu at the top.
This past week was mainly working on a prototype mobile game, tentatively called Track Star. Here’s a quick video:
Other than that, I’ve done a little work on the Diablo/D20 warfare game. I might have some WebGL projects coming up, so I might put that on hold to get a head start on the WebGL work.
This week was still working on the new rule set for the Diablo-esque warfare game. I’ve got most of the core systems in place, aside from the magic system, which will probably take a bit more time to make something so flexible to be able to adapt a bunch of d20 spells to it.
I also had a quick idea for a new mobile game that I worked on this weekend. The fun thing with this is I’m using a really cool mixture of dynamically generated animations with pinned ragdolls and standard / traditional animations. I’m really excited to see how it comes across when I get some more work done on it. Here’s the first screenshot for the game, which I’ve only worked on for about 8 hours so far:
This week I as I began to get the Diablo-esque game into a playable demo state, I noticed a few things that were holding it back from being a more fun experience. The problem I was having was that there was no way to ‘avoid’ a melee hit. And at low levels without many hit points, this usually resulted in whoever got the attack animation off first, usually won the fight immediately. When playing against a computer, this meant you would almost always lose.
So I actually started to integrate more of the open source d20 rules. This changed the way the game worked on a pretty deep level, but it allows for a lot more strategy and much more depth. You can still attack and get killed pretty quickly, but you have options that you can exploit to give yourself a possible advantage. It’s much more engaging.
So that’s what I’ve been working on the latter part of this week. No screenshots to show for anything yet. Hopefully next week I’ll have the majority of this new system done.
The past two weeks work of my Diabloesque game have gone well. I’ve got two factions added, the human knights and the goblins, with basic AI and abilities. Each side has 5 classes. So I’m beginning to start adding in a sample map. Once that’s done I should have a basic ‘level’ of the game complete, and hopefully start playtesting.
I’ve also started sketching out a few other ideas, one most notably being a tropical island survival game.
This week was a little busy but I still managed to get a decent chunk of work done on the Diablo-esque game.
The big thing I was able to add was working AI that will always be looking for enemies with range, has a random chance to try and use a special ability, but will otherwise try to capture the nearest uncaptured control point. It’s all done using behavior trees which I’ve really enjoyed working with.
I also started working on the Vanguard class and the Pikeman class, and added ‘Effectors’ so that certain abilities can stun, slow movement, or poison.
Once I wrap up these effectors and flesh out some more special abilities, I can work to finish off the first 2 factions I’m adding in the game: The Kingdom of Vireveth and the Raging Claw goblin tribe, each with 5 separate classes.
I’m going to try to make it more of a priority to do a weekly update (or maybe bi-weekly). Most of the time I don’t have too much to write about: “wrote some code, tested some stuff out, some worked, some didn’t”. I know there is value in recapping the things I’ve done over the week though, at least for right now.
This past week I started to refactor the “third person action rpg” into more of a Diablo style movement and attack scheme:
So most of the core movement and melee type attacks are done. Now I’m just working on ranged attacks.
The other thing I started working on yesterday was a Desert Strike inspired game. I was just messing around with the idea and started prototyping out the idea. I’m not sure where I’ll take it or how complicated it will be, but I’d like to keep it simple and just have a fun action game where you fly around in an attack helicopter and blow stuff up, in a low-poly style world.
Basic movement code is done, and I’m working on the attacking system right now. I did record a pretty funny glitch I introduced by accident. I was working on recognizing forward momentum and slightly titling the helicopter forward. My first test resulted in the magical flipping copter:
So that’s it for this week. If it’s not too crazy I’ll try to update next week as well, and if not, then hopefully the week after.
The past few weeks I’ve been working on an action rpg, almost in the style of the game Running with Rifles. I liked the idea of you playing just one character among hundreds in the middle of a battle. But I’m putting a fantasy rpg twist on it, but the basic gameplay of capture points king of the hill style remains.
Right now I’m planning on several factions (melee oriented humans, magic oriented humans, elves, dwarves, goblins, undead, orges) and several classes for each.
I’ve managed to get quite a bit done so far, check out the initial work done: