Programming Fonts and Themes

I’ve always thought that if I’m spending the majority of my time using a tool, I want to get the best quality I can find. As a game developer I spend the majority of my working time sitting, typing, and looking at a screen. Improving those three aspects can increase your productivity and make it easier and more pleasing when you are working. I’m going to focus on fonts and themes for this post.

There are two types of font rendering for Visual Studio. Visual Studio 2008 uses an older style while 2010 uses a newer style. The difference isn’t noticeable for most users unless you want to change the way your computer renders fonts. You can google different rendering techniques if you really care, but what I was interested in was the difference between the way a Mac and a Windows computer renders text, because I greatly prefer the way it looks on Macs. Unfortunately Visual Studio 2010’s newer way of rendering fonts doesn’t work with this method, but Visual Studio 2008 can. You can download a program called GDI++, which can be very difficult to find (I only found a site in Japanese and luckily I happen to click on the right link), so I’ve posted what I downloaded here. I’ve no idea if it’s the most current version or not. Install the program and you might need to tweak some settings, but once you enable it, some of your desktop text should look different (more like a Mac). Visual Studio 2010 will not look any different, but Visual Studio 2008 will.

In terms of fonts, I really like Deja Vu for a larger, bolder look, Consolas (included in Windows) for the medium look, and Envy Code R for smaller fonts.

For visual style, I’ve installed the Visual Studio Color Theme Editor and a modified Dark Expression Blend theme.

I’ve also got VsVim installed, which emulates the old school text editor Vim. If you’ve never heard of it or never used it, I highly recommend looking in to how to use Vim and some of the culture about it.

Here’s a screenshot of what it ends up looking like:

visualstudio2010

Read More

First Screenshot Saturday – Sushi Go Yobi

Over the weekend I posted my first submission to Screenshot Saturday (which is just a weekly reddit post where game develops post screenshots of the work they’ve done that week).

I figured I should start showing other developers the work I’ve done so far as a way to encourage myself to push through and finish the game. As a game developer, it’s so easy to get over ambitious and keep coming up with ideas for games, features, etc. That’s the easy part; turning an idea into a game that is finished is the difficult part.

Progress on the game has really picked up in the past week. I’ve knocked out a couple of really huge issues I was having. This one particular issue with the slicing was giving me lots of trouble. For some reason when I would slice one game object into two, the pivot point would remain in the center where the original object had been. So whenever I’d tried to move a sliced ingredient it would always be offset a distance of how far it was from the original pivot.

premovepostmove

In these pictures, the bottom part was sliced and selected. Then I clicked to the left to the tuna fillet in approx. the middle point, and you can see it still moved it where it would have been had it been still attached.

I tried a few different approaches with changing the pivots but all that proved to be was a headache. What I ended up on each slice was storing a Vector3, and the moment the slice occurs I calculate the difference between the renderer.bounds.center and the pre-sliced bounds.center, and store that difference in the slice. Then, whenever I actually move the object, I just make sure to add the stored Vector3 offset to wherever it’s moved, and it gets positioned accurately.

I’ve also been in touch with a game artist through a friend and we’ve started talking about him doing some of the models and environment for the game.

So overall, the past couple of weeks have been very productive!

Read More